Installation and Getting Started FAQs
There is a link to download the Reeds Digital Almanac on the updates page. At the start of the installation you will see an image like the one on the right here. Note, you must have registered using a unique 16-digit number that would have been provided with your 2015/16 Almanac. You must also have confirmed your account by following the link in the email you were sent when you registered.
If the postcard containing the unique number was not included with your almanac, please contact email@example.com and we will supply you with a code, provided you can produce proof of purchase.
If you have a firewall or anti-virus software running, try temporarily disabling them and then trying the installation again.
If this does not fix the problem, try the following:
1. Uninstall Adobe AIR completely (through the control panel).
2. Then reinstall it from http://get.adobe.com/air/.
3. Try running the app again.
and if that doesn't work:
1. Uninstall Adobe AIR again.
2. Also remove the local storage area, which would be in a folder name something like:
C:\Documents and Settings\
3. Uninstall the application (via the Control Panel).
4. Try reinstalling Adobe AIR from http://get.adobe.com/air/.
5. Reinstall the app from http://www.reedsnauticalalmanac.co.uk/ReedsNautical.air rather than through the page on the website.
If you continue to have problems, please email us.
If you have not upgraded your almanac since 15th December 2012 you may receive an error message during installation. In this situation, please uninstall Reeds Nautical application and re-install.
Remember to save your routes online before uninstalling - to do this, go to Route Planner ... Load Routes ... My Online Routes.
The latest version of Adobe AIR (3.4) has a bug that is causing anyone who upgrades the AIR software to be logged out of the Digital Almanac.
You should be able to log in to the Digital Almanac again and not experience any further problems. If you have forgotten your password you can reset it here.
Adobe are working on a new update that will rectify this issue. You can read more about the problem on Adobe's forums: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4651393
Errors during installation are logged to a file on your computer. This may help you identify installation problems. If you contact Reeds for technical support it would be helpful to provide the installation log file.
This article explains where to find the installation log file.
If you encounter issues when you attempt to install Adobe AIR applications on your system, remove and reinstall Adobe AIR. For example, if the installation stalls at the "Application Install" dialog box, or if you see an "Installation Error" message, remove and reinstall Adobe AIR.
To remove Adobe AIR on Windows, do the following:
- Select Start > Settings > Control Panel.
- Open the Add or Remove Programs panel.
- Select Adobe AIR to remove the runtime.
- Click the Change/Remove button.
To remove Adobe AIR on Mac OS X, double-click the Adobe AIR Uninstaller (Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app) in your Applications/Utilities folder.
To remove Adobe AIR on Linux, do one of the following:
- Adobe AIR 1.5 or earlier: Click the Adobe AIR Uninstaller menu choice under Applications > Accessories
- Adobe AIR 2.0 or later: Use the system package manager to remove the Adobe AIR as it is now installed as a native application
Important: On Windows OS, do not use any other external tool like Microsoft's Installer Cleanup Utility to remove Adobe AIR. This utility can damage other installations on the computer.
Sometimes installation problems can be caused when there is an older version of Adobe AIR on your computer. Reeds Digital Almanac requires version 2.5 or greater. The following article explains how to determine your current version of Adobe AIR.
Persistant problems with installation may be resolved by removing Adobe AIR from your computer and reinstalling.
The article Uninstall Adobe AIR describes the steps required to remove Adobe AIR.
Many of the problems with installation can be resolved by ensuring the following:
- You must be logged in as an administrator on your computer
- You should shut down other programs running on your computer
- You should install the application to a local drive
The Troubleshooting AIR installation page on Adobe's website contains a useful guide to solving installation problems.
Most of the installation problems experienced by users have been with the installation of Adobe AIR which is required by Reeds Digital Almanac.
The Troubleshooting AIR installation article on Adobe's website contains a useful guide to solving installation problems.
You are limited to two installations. For example, a desktop computer and a laptop
If you see the 'Login Failed' message when you first log in to the Reeds Digital Almanac please make sure:
- That you have registered with the Reeds Website and confirmed your account. When you registered you should have received an email which contains a link which must be clicked in order to activate your account.
- That the email address you registered with is correct and that the password you were provided with matches exactly. A common error is to leave a trailing space at the end of the password if you are cutting and pasting from the email containing your details.
You can change your password by logging into the website and going to Edit Profile under the Downloads & Updates menu.
When you registered for this website you will have been sent an email containing an automatically generated password. When you run the Digital Almanac for the first time you will be asked to enter your username and password - these are the same as your website username and password.
Some people have had problems copying their password from the email. If you cut and paste from the email make sure there are no trailing spaces on the password. Also note that the password is case-sensitive.
You can reset your password here.
If you cannot see the installation badge (that looks like the image on the right) on the updates page it may be that you do not have flash installed for this browser, or have an old version (check your version here). You can download flash here.
Alternatively, you can follow the manual installation steps listed on the updates page.